Saturday, October 22, 2011

Tools of Silent Conversation

Tools huh… My first thought was to go back to simpler times, and simpler tools.  But nothing was stirring my creative juices.  I considered communication tools but ruled out anything electronic.  Suggestions from the rest of the group, and Vicki’s post earlier encouraged me to think “outside the box”.  That’s when the beginning of an idea hit me. 
 
Conversation is a tool of communication.  But I had no idea how to portray conversation in fabric.  It wasn’t coming to me.  Then one day while sitting in a coffee shop I watched as a young man and his lady friend were having an intense conversation.  No sound was made, but you could tell that the conversation was lively and entertaining from the expressions on their face.  They were deaf and using sign language.  That’s when I had my “aha” moment.  I was intrigued by the flurry of hand gestures even though I did not understand what was being said.  So this is my tribute to the tools of silent conversation.

The hand symbols were printed on Lutradur.  It took several attempts to get the print to come out sharp enough.  You can read more details on my blog here.  I then added the thread-sketched eyes (my first attempt at thread sketching I might add) to reference that this type of conversation requires two tools; both hands and eyes.  The additional stitching connects the two “tools” to form the conversation.

This theme was a challenge for me but I think I managed to complete it successfully.  Besides I also used two “tools’ I had never used before; Lutradur and thread sketching.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea and well done! I just read about your adventure with Lutradur printing, thanks for sharing your experiences. I didn't know about the gel medium and what a difference that made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that two of us used hands as a centerpoint, yet in very different ways with very different meanings! I'll have to go back and read your posts on Lutradur, I have some that I have never used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another meaningful use of hands as a tool. I was touched by your explanation. Your printing came out so clear. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brigitte, you made a beautiful quilt with a lot of meaning. I love that you incorporated the eyes, which are as important as the hands in a silent conversation. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brigette, what a unique interpretation of the theme. I have to head over to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh well done Brigitte! You've captured the flurry of the conversation, and the fact that hands and eyes are a must. What an amazing difference with the use of gel medium and the heavier weight lutrador - who ever would have thunk it? Great thread sketching to pull it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so meaningful and worth the wait. I love the hands and how well they have printed out. It looks like I have got a lot of catching up to do on all your blogs with all the work everyone has been doing whilst I was offline

    ReplyDelete