Sunday, October 19, 2014

the design phase

Okay, so today was the day I started the design phase for our process challenge.  Having set my parameters as a wholecloth mini quilt, with a mandala and colour, I needed to come up with a plan.

To start, I took a plain piece of paper and marked a 16" square on it, and then quartered it horizontally, vertically and diagonally.

Next, using an idea I got from Lisa Calle - use your rulers to help you with the basic design,  I started with a 2.5" circle template and then grabbed my 6"curved ruler and started laying out some curves, using my registration marks as a guide.  Using the rulers means I know it will work with them when it comes to the quilting, and I'll be able to get nice sharp lines and angles.

A few more lines, a few more circles, and I think I've got my basic design worked out.

I think I can call that mandala inspired!  Now, what to do about colour?  I could go bold - using some dye pastels I picked up while visiting with Gina last summer -
Or see what I can come up with using thread.  The basic design is now transferred to a piece of white pfd (prepared for dye) fabric, just in case I want to add some colour other than thread! and some quilting ideas are penciled in.  All of this is subject to change once it goes under the needle...
Next step will be deciding if I'll include any trapunto - I'm thinking it is a possibility, then sandwiching it up and having some quilting fun with it!  That's my favourite part!

How are you doing with yours?

Thursday, October 9, 2014

finding stuff

So far, all I have shown of my process is my inspiration in my journal
Yesterday, whilst looking for some fabric for a class tomorrow, I found this
It was a sample fabric I used when teaching painting with an air gun last year.  So.... I am pretty sure I will spray my fabrics for this challenge.
Now of course, there is one black feather and so I have started to make that in free motion lace
My other half is using the air gun at the moment, so perhaps sometime soon I can get the painting started!

Over Under, Over Under

Okay, I've got the next step underway on my process.  If you can't recall my inspiration, you can read about it here.

I recently returned from a retreat where we learned to design Celtic knots.  Ahhh; an epiphany!  I could design a knot to use as the "wreath".  So here is where I started;

Took a square of tracing paper, folded it horizontally, vertically, diagonally until I had what I thought were sufficient "wedge" sections to create my envisioned wreath;

cut a single wedge and drew several organic intersecting lines; refolded the paper square and inserted the single wedge within the folds and traced the lines.  I had to remember to "mirror" the image in every other section.  This is what resulted.  Hmm...not exactly what I was looking for; try again.

Next attempt; better

Try another one; also not bad

I discovered that the more wedge sections there were, the more complex the resulting knot.  Hmmm...I tried a few more.  Now I just have to decide which ones to use.