Sunday, August 24, 2014

Charms, Feathers, Mardi Gras!

Thank you Lisa!  I’ll admit that this one was indeed a challenge.  It had me stumped for the longest time. I mulled it over, sketched ideas, set it aside, and cogitated further.  What do you do with all of this?

At last!  One week prior to reveal day I had my idea.  It would need cutting, fusing, and embellishing.  Yup!  I took your beautiful hand dyed fabric pressed it to Misty Fuse and slashed it apart.  It looked like this when I was done.

Next I chose fabric that would act as a canvas for my idea.  Using a stencil and some Shiva paint sticks, I created a border.

A few more pieces had to be cut; some of them fussy.

Now it was a matter of arranging all of the pieces, fusing them to the background and doing some FMQ stitching to hold things in place.

With everything now “stuck” in place there was no turning back.  Embellishing was the next order of business and your charms and fibers fit in perfectly.  I added some additional items, some hand embroidery and some fancy machine stitchery.  You can hop over to my blog and see more process pictures.

So what do you think?  Does this remind you of Mardi Gras?  

7 comments:

  1. Yes it sure does, this is fabulous Mardi Gras Brigitte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Brigitte, this one made me smile too! The background makes Lisa's fabric sing- and I can hear the music of New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Brigette! It sure does look like Mardi Gras! What a wonderful use of all the bits as well as the fabric! It always amazes me how all of us come up with such wonderfully unique ideas on the same theme/fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got to the bottom of your post, I just had to smile. I love the whimsy, free forms, use of embellishment and the background designs. It certainly conveys, "let the good times roll".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want that mask for when I go to Mardi Gras! Well done! Seeing your slashed pieces in an early picture I was thinking undersea world, which would have been great, but this is oh so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one. It is so vibrant and full of movement. I love your stencilled border and the little feathers.

    ReplyDelete