Color Study- 16 X 16
Hand dyed cotton, applique, machine quilted
I spent several weeks looking at Lisa's lovely fabric on my design wall, trying to decide what to do with it. The movement of the colors was so lovely, I finally went with a color study- snazzy title, right? I wanted to see what would happen if the darker colors were larger shapes, and if the bright yellows would still dominate the piece, even though they are much tinier. And I knew I wanted to do it against a black background. I love how black makes colors pop.
I quilted the background first- I had the perfect variegated thread. Then I started played with the placement of the squares. The final arrangement was a collaboration between me and my son. They are fused onto the background, using Terry Grant's method of fusing just on the edge of the fabric with Liquifuse.
I spent another couple of weeks debating how to quilt the squares. I started with an abstract design, and ripped it out after just a little bit. I ended up with these free form, kind of fern-y things. The entire time I was quilting them, I was thinking about Janet and her gorgeous feathers, and how mine were just a pale imitation. Sigh!! I drew out the first one, then freehanded the others- and I like the free hand ones best.
Lisa, I really struggled with the embellishments. My work is going so far in the opposite direction, I wasn't sure what to do with them. I ended up placing the leaf charm between a gold and green square, kind of a reference to the changing of the leaves that we'll be experiencing soon.
I had fun with this, learned some tricks for quilting (how to get evenly spaced rays on a square), and was inspired enough by Lisa's fabric that I spent an entire weekend dyeing fabric in color gradations- my last blog post has pictures of those. So, thank you Lisa for a great challenge, and the materials to pull it off!