For the first time ever, I decided to work from a photograph. I selected an arty foliage photo my husband had shot and changed it to a black and white image. For the background fabric I selected 20 squares of various dark prints. I made paper patterns for the leaves, fused fabrics, cut out the leaves and ironed them onto the background. As this process was proceeding, I kept having misgivings about it, but hubby assured me it was fine, so I then sewed the leaves on and when finished, I knew it was a no go. Additional photos.
I had been so proud of myself for finishing 2 weeks early, an unheard of event for the chief procrastinator. Now I had to start over. After many hours of searching for ideas on the internet I decided on an asymmetrically balanced design of black and white, more or less.
The design then had to be enlarged to the correct size, paper patterns made and fabric auditioned. This small mock up enabled me to audition fabrics over and over again until I was satisfied.
Finally I was ready to cut and sew. I am not accustomed to working from a such preconceived design. My normal method of working is to design as I go. How to quilt the piece was also a challenge. Instead of quilting an all over design, I quilted each section, which was also a new experience. Plus, I did not use any text and used all commercially printed fabric, so I can do it!