I found this fabric and thought it was perfect. I could fussy cut it and applique it to the mask shape.
I had to figure out how to get the shadow on the mask and at the same time have the blue flowers on the mask show up. Well first things first....trace the shadow onto separate sheets of paper to create some templates.
with a wood burning tool. It works beautifully. So now I had all the pieces for the mask, but what about the background. A grid for a sense of tiles for the background would be good. The grid was created with blue satin ribbon, and some added little details.
After a few additional experiments and some free motion quilting I finally had my piece and....
TA DA!!! A Blue Delft Tragedy! I learned some valuable lessons with this one. You can see those on my blog.