Hand dyed cotton, machine quilted hand embroidered
This piece started in my head. I thought about the many aspects of music- structure, represented by the treble and bass bars, notes, and other 'letters', which I saw as straight lines. Then there are the curved, rolling lines, representing the flow of the music as it moves through me. That was my starting place.
I rooted through my stash, looking for fabric that spoke to me with those thoughts in mind. I found this piece that I did last summer. I liked the straight lines of the rust against the petrol green background. I kind of reminded me of the readout of an echocardiogram- but hey, heart's have a beat too, right?
I machine quilted it with curved, flowing lines- or at least attempted to. Working on this piece told me how rusty my free motion skills have gotten. It was not easy.
After the machine quilting, I hand embroidered the 'notes. I wanted to use perle cotton, but couldn't find any in the color I needed, so it ended up being three strands of embroidery cotton. That gave me the accents I wanted.
If the proportions of this piece look different than the others, that is because they are. I did not realize until I was almost done that it is 12 X 20, not 16. By the time I realized it, it was too late to do anything about it, and I aure didn't have the energy to re-do it. So, it is what it is. Hopefully, my creative energy and mojo will return with the spring and warmer weather.
I showed this to my son, asking him what he saw. He said it looked like a digital music file- hence the name! So, that told me I'd been successful in conveying my idea, at least from a modern perspective!